Internet traffic is only set to grow, as information consumers guzzle more by the day. It seems we simply cannot get enough information (sidenote – do we spend enough time CREATING decent content, if we’re so busy reading someone else’s?)
CISCO’s highlights tool provides a forecast of what the internet will look like in 2015.
There are some great stats about South African internet consumption and penetration:
In South Africa:
- mobile data traffic in 2015 will be equivalent to 6x the volume of the entire South African Internet in 2005
- the average mobile connection speed will grow 20-fold from 2010 to 2015, reaching 5,454 kbps in 2015
- in 2015, the gigabyte equivalent of all movies ever made will cross South Africa’s IP networks every 22 hours
- the average broadband speed will grow 2.7-fold from 2010 to 2015, from 1.9 Mbps to 5 Mbps
Regional predictions are also available for Middle East and Africa. See more here.
Below is an infographic from CISCO about global traffic.
- Mobile, the great enabler for African communities #SMWF (afrosocialmedia.wordpress.com)